Facing Fake News

When first looking at the photo I believed that there was a large nuclear disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power plant in Japan as said in the post of the photo. Without going forward with my research there is not enough evident information to confirm whether this news is factual. I then began researching if a nuclear disaster occurred on March 11 in Japan. I put the information given from the photo into Snopes.com and found out that it is in fact false information provided with a real photo.

After reading and watching several videos that relate to the different topics I have found many things that interest me which I will discuss. First, fake news is something that is very common in not only today's society, but in previous years too. "Yellow Journalism" became known in the late 1800's when two newspaper journalists became in competition with the "yellow kids" after one copied the other. Satire news is notably more distinguishable than fake news because satire news is used more for humor, exaggeration, etc.. Fake news can become very dangerous, not only for the person who believes it, but if that person continues to share this false information then the fake news is being spread widely. Fake news can become very difficult to spot also, but with the right equipment and mindset that not everything people tell you/you see is true, then fake news can be determined. While watching the videos on kids who cannot distinguish fake news, I was not surprised. Being a teen myself I know how much I rely on the internet and that I usually do not second guess something that I see. It is very easy to see information online and automatically believe that it is true.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Journal Entry #6 - Caught in Lies

Journal Entry #1 - "First Newspapers"